Question
Posted by: swg | 2008/08/15

re bone density

I have benn on varying doses of eltroxin for almost ten years (my thyroid function is fine btw its just to suppress any potential nodules)

and i' d heard from someone that i should go for a bone density scan now so that in 20 or 30 years time the doctors will have something to compare current bone density too as eltroxin over a long period might have an effect on bone density.

does this ring true to you?
thanks

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear swg
If you take Eltroxin because you are supplementing thyroid hormone only and they do regular (6 monthly)blood tests to monitor the Thyroid hormone levels and you are not over- treated, the Eltroxin will not do any harm to your bones.
I don't know how old you are, but if you have other risk factors for osteoporosis, it is probably a good idea to have a baseline scan especially if you are post menopausal etc.

1
Posted by: mischelle | 2008/09/23

How long does it take before the eltroxin kicks in. i am on the smallest dose (been 5 days now) and the absolute fatigue is getting to me. Is there anything else to take that would alleviate the fatigue? I am also on cipramil. Is this okay? I mentioned it to the endocronologist and he seems oksy with it.

Reply to mischelle