Posted by: L Zeelie | 2012-11-29

RE: ADHD, ODD and Conduct Disorder

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I feel like giving up, because no one seems to be able to help. He was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD by a psychiatrist and was given Ritalin (Adephen) 10mg x 3 times daily. Also Risperiodone (Risperdal) 1mg at night which was later adjusted to 2mg and Epilum (500mg) at night in order to suppress his mood swings/aggression. He has been expelled from 5 schools as a result of behavioural problems and the teachers could not handle him. He also does not get along with children his own age and would rather be with children older than him. He is also very intelligent, about 4 years ago I had him tested and according to the results he is the level just below genius. He scored 126+ for all the tests and the therapist mentioned that a child his age should have a score of about 100.

I have also taken him to all the psychologists in George and not one of them could get anything out of him. As soon as they start asking questions, he clams up and refuses to talk. Eventually I took him to the Red Cross Children''''s Hospital Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and they diagnosed him with conduct disorder and recommended that he be admitted to Boys Town.

So as I stated, I''''m on the verge of giving up, because his behavior is getting worse and has been getting even worse since his grandfather died 4 years ago. He was very close to him and he often cries over him.

From my personal, as well as professional experience, being highly intelligent is not always an advantage !
Has he ever explained to you why he clams up and doesn't speak to the psychologists you arrange for ? What does he think might happen if he talks to them ? He may have unrealistically gloomy ideas about the effects of being frank in speaking to the shrinks, and alleviating such anxiety can be helpful.
That he is still weeping about the death of his grandfather 4 years ago, suggests that this is highly relevant here, and needs to be dealt with.
Would it help to speak frankly with him about how you miss his grandfather ( ? your father ? ) ; and how much you know the old man loved him, and wanted only the best for him ' and would be sorry to know he was having troubles, and would want him to speak with the psychologists and work to get things right, so he can behave well and be loved and respected by more people, and achieve good things in his life, rather than just to keep on getting into trouble. It'd be interesting to see if he was open to such discussion

Posted by: Lzeelie | 2012-12-03

I took him to Dr Jannie van der Westhuizen aand he was the one that diagnosed him with ODD and prescribed meds, but I can''t see that the meds are working, he is just getting worse with his behaviour. cyber he told the last Dr that he does not want to talk because he is afraid that he would be taken away from me. i''ve also tried the grandpa thing and what he would be saying if he was still alive today but it does not seem to have any impact on him, he would just cry for a few minutes and then be off getting into trouble again.

Reply to Lzeelie
Posted by: Eric | 2012-11-29

I suspect from what you say that your son could be a high functioning autistic  also known as Aspergers Syndrome. Did you take him to Dr Jannie Engelbrecht in George by any chance?

Reply to Eric