Question
Posted by: Anon | 2012-07-26

Re: abortion update.

Hi cybershrink.

My sister had a seizure two days ago, which lasted for more than 20minutes. The doctor told my mum that my sisters one side of the brain is growing old, and that''s the reason for her attempted suicide, and her making impulse decisions. My mother did not mention her abortion. But when I google abortion and seizures, I found, that some patients who have abortions gets seizures lasting for more than 5 minutes. Anyhow, we will be taking my sister to see a psychologist, and see how it goes. According to the doctor, my little sister might end up handicapped, or even mentally challenged. His mother definitely forced my lil sister into having an abortion, cause who else would''ve paid for it? Anyways, that''s water under the bridge. I''m very sad, and can''t stop crying. As I can jut imagine how she might be feeling. And how that experience just damaged her. So she''s been put back onto epilex/rivotrol. She had a brain tumor since the age of five. And last had seizures 3 years ago. And now she''s back at square one. I have apologized tp them both for lashing out at them, cause I now understand what they both were put through. Yes, his mother jut wanted power over him. And to control everyone she sees in her line of sight. And he can''t wait to get away from his mother.

To Neha, I''m not a mom. But, the way we were taught, don''t ever come in-between other peoples happiness. Be it, even if their
relationship is doomed. It''s no place even for a parent to meddle
in. Also, we accepted their relationship. We treated him as family. Whereas his mother treated her like shit.

Sometimes the actual explanations doctors give are not wisely worded, and confuse people, who hear something different from what is intended.
This situation sounds confused. Seizures are not uncommon and can have a variety of possible causes. One lasting 20 minutes is more unusual.
Maybe the doctor meant that there were some signs of possible brain damage on one side of her brain ( which, again, could have a whole range of possible causes ).
The effects of brain damage or scaring depends on how much brain is affected and WHERE in the brain this is, as different areas of the brain have different specialized functions. Damage to some areas, such as parts of the frontal lobes, may make one more impulsive and less cautious when choosing one's actions.
Normally, abortion does NOT cause brain damage or subsequent seizures, unless soemthing goes wrong with the procedure such as anaesthetic problems.
Its not clear from yopur message whether your sister or your mother had an abortion ; but presumably the sister was not born as the result of a botched or failed abortion attempt.
You don't mention your sister's age, but if she is old enough to have had an abortion, she is adult.
If brain damage occurred as a result of some disaster or error during an abortion procedure she underwent ( and which might have followed any minor operation or anaesthetic procedure ), it would surely be complete - one would not generally expect it to extend or grow worse, which the story about "ending up" as mentally handicapped or disabled, implies.
If she had a brain tumour at the age of 3, that would probably have been removed at the time, or at least would have received major treatment, and that would have been a typical cause of possible brain damage, far beyond any risk of an abortion.
As Anon2 says, paying for a procedure which someone else may have decided to undergo is not equivalent to FORCING them to have that surgery.
I'm also dubious about the bit you found about abortion and seizures. Always be sceptical about material you find on the internet, and check carefully the bona fides of the source - for instance, there are some people who are fanatically opposed to abortion for any reason whatever, and they may produce websites giving biased or even invented information to support their arguments. Thinking about an abortion could NEVER cause a seizure. being very upset, for good or bad reasons, about anything at all might possibly increase the risk of a seizure in someone with epilepsy which isn't under full control of medication.
It sounds as though the neurologist ( the appropriate specialist to consult here ) was clear that she no longer has the brain tumour ( or, presumably any recurrence of it ) but correctly seems to have said that brain surgery may leave scars which may later become a focus for causing epilepsy.
Illusions are not usually a part of epilepsy, though some odd experiences may arise just before a fit, and caused by the growing electrical storm.

6
Posted by: neha | 2012-07-30

So who signed the medical forms at the abortion clinic? His mother? I think not. It was your sister. Stop making your sister out to be the victim. Your sister had a right to make a choice. unless off course she was taken to the clinic at gunpoint. The only victim here was the child.

let it go. She made her choice. What makes you think your sister didn''t pay herself? She is 18 &  surely has savings. I can''t remember if you mentioned whether your sister is in university. Surely she must get pocket money, if she doesn''t already have a part time job.

Reply to neha
Posted by: Reality check! | 2012-07-27

I personally think you are very obsessed with your sister''s abortion she had? It is personal and actually non of your business, you are looking for signs that is not there, and dont believe everything you read, it may be a finding but not a fact.

You mentioned that she had seizures when she was small,

It might be caused by guilt or stress, I think she can not deal with her abortion (that is actually private and her decision) because you are reminding her the whole time.

Leave your sister to deal with her own emotion without your interference and just be there for her when she needs support.
She knew what she was doing and she must deal with the stresses,

I think you must let it go now, and stop reminding her about her decision, each to their own.

I will pray for you guys because you clearly are still shocked about her decision.

Just love her and be there, and you actuallly have no right to judge her or remind her about her choices in life.

Reply to Reality check!
Posted by: anon3 | 2012-07-26

CS points out something important in his post, for your sister to have given her consent to have an abortion she must be an adult. ANY woman who is 18+ in 2012, unless raised under a rock, has heard " your body, your choice"  and similar phrases many many times over. The only circumstance I can think of where someone is ''forced'' into making such a choice is if a girl''s own parents threatened to kick her out/disown her. Your sister''s boyfriend''s mother doesn''t have that kind of power, at the very worst she was being manipulative.
If you still feel that this woman forced her into having the abortion it''s not water under the bridge. Just accept the fact that if she was capable of acting irresponsibly and falling pregnant in the first place, she is capable of making rash or bad choices without anyone forcing her hand and just try your best to encourage and reassure her that she can bring her problems to you or your mother in the future.

Abortions are generally quick and simple procedures, most clinics use only local anathesia and a sedative at most.
Ask your sister about it, I know that in some cases they make use of laughing gas aside local anasthesia.
Your sister should have given the doctor who performed the abortion a full medical history, it''s really unlikely that he, knowing about her tumor/seizure problems, would''ve have used anything that could cause complications. I don''t know why your mother didn''t mention this to the doctor who is currently treating her? Even though it''s a minor and probably unrelated procedure he should still be aware of it!

Reply to anon3
Posted by: Anon | 2012-07-26

Hi Anon2

You can google abortion and seizures. I stumbled upon operationrescue. But it said before the patient underwent an abortion, she had a seizure. Another was on ehealth, where the women, said she started having seizures a couple of years after she had an abortion. I may have typed that " I read abortion causes seizures"  wrong, I just read people asking whether their seizures could be linked to having an abortion as they never had a history of tumor or epilepsy. But maybe the psycological aspect, of her thinking about her abortion, may have
triggered the seizure. Also, the neurologist, told my mother that my sister no longer had the tumor on here brain. And still does not. But the scar caused her to have illusions.

Kind regards.

Posted by: Anon2 | 2012-07-26

Please tell me where you read that nonsense about abortion causing seizures? You say she''s had seizures before and that she has a brain tumour and her brain is getting old... would it not make more logicial sense that maybe THAT is the cause of the seizures?

Maybe the mother in law paid for it because she wanted to help (even for her own selfish reasons)... just because someone paid doesn''t mean the person paying forced them...

Reply to Anon2