Question
Posted by: Boo | 2009-05-17

RE 4739

Your questions make me nevrvous! Ha ha I have no idea what triggered it of to be honest, but a distant family relative did pass on a month ago I doubt it was that, last night I had a horrible dream that my cousin little kid died! I cant seem to know what triggered it all I know is that for a week I would wake up in the middle of the night with full blown panic attacks but then when I was on rivotril they were gone I dont get them now but I have this fear of sleeping as I think I will die in my sleep I do watch the news maybe I saw something there I really cant think of anything my mind works over time with horrible thoughts what do you think right now I cant sleep! Lol

Sorry to hear that -- you seem almost eager to become nervous ! Sometimes there is no obvious "cause" or trigger at all. Sometimes it's something which consciously we don't see as relevant. The death of anyone you know, or even some nasty stories in the news, can make one extra aware of mortality, and to feel life as far more fragile than we did before. Then, too if one is having panic attacks, our mind, wanting to be logical and find reasons, may link the panicky feelings to a recent ream or idea ; or as in ordinary nightmares, when we are basically rather anxious, we may be more inclined to have bad dreams and wake feling very anxious.
One simple method which works remarkably well ( except in people who rejct it because it sounds too easy ) is called Thought Stopping. When such nasty thoughts start to build up and you're getting more anxious, you IN YOUR MIND ( not out loud, so as not to frighten the neighbours ! ) should STOP THOSE THOUGHTS ! And surprisingly often, they do stop. and one then should distract oneself with other interesting thoughts and activities. Some people add to this effect by putting a thickish rubber band round their wrist, and when the nasty thoughts start up, they snap the band against their wrist, producing a short, sharp, pain, at the same time as telling the thoughts to STOP.