Posted by: ANon | 2013-02-06

Re: 418 violent break ins

I am very close friends with a police captain. We discussed this and he gave me the following advise, should I ever find myself in that position:

Do NOT look at your attacker, look down. Say as little as possible and at all times keep your hands visiible. Talk in calm responses and do EXACTLY what they say. Although this is not a guarantee of not getting hurt - you have a much better chance. The cirminals are flooded with adrenalin and will over react to any sign of resistance. They may also be under the influence. Begging and pleading aggrevates them.

He also said that 90% plus of violent housebreaks and hijacking has nothing at all to do with poverty but everything to do with organised crime fueled by greed. Opportunistic theft is usually poverty related.

Excellent, Annon ! Not looking at the guy seems useful, speaking only calmly when spoken to, not arousing suspicion or giving any excuse to attract hostility.

Posted by: I Survived | 2013-02-08

Hi Anon

In October I survived being robbed at knife point. I saw my attacker''s face up close a lot. But I did exactly what he said and tried to give him whatever valuables he was after just to get him out the house. Eventually I said to him " In the name of Jesus, please leave me alone and go" . He slapped me again and shoved me into the bathroom and told me to wait. About 5 minutes later I realised he''d left.
I took a chance by pushing the panic button but I think that made him realise that he didnt have much time. I realisd at this point that it could be my last few moments on earth and I decided I would take a chance. It could have gone so much worse but I truly believe God was watching over me.

Reply to I Survived