Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-01

Re: 3993

Subject: Scan results-meaning of sentence

I went for a CT scan and on the report from the radiologist there is a sentence that says"  Atrophic appearance of the right lob of the liver. I will only see the specialist on Monday but want to know what this means.

Posted by: Cyberdoc | 25/6/2009
Hallo Anon
The liver has 2 lobes. Atrophy means partial or complete wasting away and it happens due to injury to the blood flow of an organ or due to injury or severe infection/inflammation of an organ like in biliary disease or damage to the liver by alcohol.

DR Bets

Thanks for your reply. The specialist came back to me and I was told that everything is fine just that the liver is enlarged and that I must be carefull what I eat the specialist prescribed liver medication and something to make my intestines relax. After reading your reply knowing that the " damage"  you refer to was not caused by alcohol but rather something I was born with I went and googled more about biliary disease and all the simptoms listed I can relate to and that is what I' ve explained to the specialist I' m so confused because after all the tests he did the outcome was that I just have to deal with it but what about the pain that I have to suffer from. WOuld you suggest I go to someone else for a second opinion.

Dear Anon
Do you know what his diagnosis was? It may be something that he can not do much about. Where do you live, I may be able to refer you to a liver specialist in your area?