Posted by: David | 2010-05-26

I am male and 50 years.
Is it true that your muscle have a memory? I have been in the gym 2007 and was really building smart. I have stopped and 10kg over weight. Please advice

Hi David

They talk about "muscle memory" a lot, but it's more of a concept, not meant to be taken literally.

What happens is that your never "unlearn" the adaptation to training even though your body detrains. So if you stopped, you'll have lost all the training adaptations, but if you go back now, you will regain them faster than you did when you started out. This is mostly experience, but also your physiology seems to be more able to adapt the second time around. This is what people talk about regarding muscle memory

But it still takes the same level of work, you can't short-cut that, so you would need to do the same kind of training as before. But the good news is you'll benefit sooner.