Question
Posted by: hestia | 2010/07/01

RE 1181

Thank you for you answer. I woudl like to go for CBT counceling. Not sure if this will be the type of councelling you refered to in your reply. My question is if CBT is done by psychologist or psychiatrist? I did read up on some documents on CBT and I can see why you do suggest it so many times.
I do have some numbers however I feel silly phoning them and asking if they are using CBT as a treatment method. I grew up in a very conservative family and it is still frowned upon to go for counceling at psychologist or psychiatrist. So I can not help feeling that I am doing something wrong and that I should be ashamed of it. That is something that I must do and not let anybody find out about it.
Thank you once again.

It can be done by either, most likely a psychologist ; but it depends on what training they have had and have chosen to get. Don't feel silly asking a receptionist what form of psychotherapy a shrink uses - its a very valid and sensible question. The Anxiety/Depression Support Gp, SADAG, lists some of the CBT pratitioenrs on its website and could possible name more by phone.
Its sad, isn't it, how many families had the old-fashioned viewpoint that you could sek expert help in any other aspect of life, except this one.

4

Posted by: Anonymous | 2010/07/02

Hi Hestia. I always say: depression is a disease like any other. Therapy is part of the treatment for this disease. Just like with diabetes, you usually can''t just take medicine, you need to work on other things to get better (eg diet, exercise, etc). So, your therapy is part of your treatment to get better. You don''t have to tell anyone that you are in therapy if you don''t want to - what business is it of their''s anyway. Maybe it''s better if they don''t know if you know their reaction would be negative and might put you off treatment. You should never be embarassed that you want to know something (like what kind of therapy a psychologist offers: you are doing the best you can to find the right treatment for your illness. I htink that''s something to be proud of because you''re taking care of yourself. Good luck.

Posted by: Maria | 2010/07/01

Hi Hestia. I was 30 when I was diagnosed with depression. I had been on meds and in therapy for more than a month before I told my parents, who did not react all that well. (Afrikaans concervative family.) As my therapy progressed I started to sort out so many of the issues in my life, including the why-don''t-I-have-relationships one. Therapy turned my life around, at 34 I got married to my first-ever boyfriend and after almost 5 years we''re going strong. Don''t let other people''s hangups stop you from seeking help to grow as a person. Once I realised the value that therapy had I stopped caring in the least what anybody else thought. I did it for me, and it was hard work but so worthwhile. Take care.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: anon | 2010/07/01

hi hestia

look post 1194 ''verskille''. explain difference between the two. psychiatrists dont often offer counseling as well.

think about yourself and not what your family thinks. it is more important. surely they want you to be happy.

all the best.

Reply to anon