Question
Posted by: Confused | 2011-01-11

RE: 1074 Pain

Hi Dr Betts

I don''t even know where to start with all my aches and pains but here goes, and some history too:

Last year (Nov 2009)I was diagnosed with anemia - count of 5, all other blood test seemed to be normal, except Hemoglobin seemed low aswell. I was extremely weak, that I was booked off for 2 weeks, the Ferrimed did not work fast enough so the GP gave me an Iron drip, 1st week went great, 2nd week I got the drip in the morning, and by 2pm, my veins started to burn and it felt like I was passing out even if lying down. Went to ER, they put me on a saline drip as I was severely de-hidrated, even though I took in fluids that day. ER did blood test and the doc did not see anything wrong, iron levels were up, accept hemoglobin seemed a bit low, but not to low to be worried as per the ER DOC. Felt better but started having constant lower back pains in the kidney area. Doc did do scans last year (nov 2009), and all seemed OK, liver, spleen, kidneys - Urine tests all fine and no protein in urine (which I was told is a good thing). Went to fysio for the back pain and felt a bit better, but still had this dull pain, however, until this day, I have constant lower back pain in the kidney area, and between the ribs (Lung x-rays were fine last year - Nov 2009). Went to Gynea all fine, went for breast scan (history of cancer and breast cancer in family) they found a cyst but were told not to worry about it (I am 35, had 3 children, and apparently cysts are common at my age)

Here is the list of aches and pains
- Lower pack pain (left side)- was on synap f all the time for the pain - now its not available anymore and nothing else works
- Had severe bladder infection 2 weeks ago, with blood in urine that I could see, urine cultures showed bacteria of Enterococcus faecalis but cleared up partially using Cyprobay, still feel a bit of discomfort after urinating, but no blood
- Chest pains and heart palpitations - skipped heart beat
- Can''t sleep at all, been on Adco - Zolpidem for past 7 months
- Tingling feeling and pain in left leg, might be due to the lower left back pain, I dont know
- No swelling of hands or feet, but it feels like my veigns are bursting, especially in my hands
- Severe migraines, nothing seems to work (Myprodol, Mypaid F, Cataflam ect...)
- Dull sensation on my forehead, rightside, almost feels like I numb feeling
- Sore muscles all over my body, does not feel like joint pain
- Lost 3kg and was on 49kg (i am 1.6m tall), started eating like mad because I got worried, and picked up only 1.5kg so far in 4 weeks. I am still trying to eat as much as I can.
- People comment and say I look pale / grey
- I dont have any fever

Apologies for the long list, but I dont know what to do and my GP wants to put me on anti-depressants and say I am am parranoid and suffer from panic disorder. Yes, I do panic, because I dont know what is wrong with me, I cant function like this doing a full time job and having 3 little ones to look after. Please doc give me your honest feedback, do I go back to the GP to do all test over that they did in Nov 2009, scans, x-rays and blood and if all OK try the anti-depressants? Is there any other tests that they can do? I am so confused and dont know where to start fixing myself

Thanks so much doc, and sorry for the essay :( :(

Hallo Confused
1. With such severe anemia, one needs to determine the cause - are you bleeding from somewhere (stomach ulcer/bleeding from the colon?) One should maybe have a gastroscopy or colonoscopy to check this out.
2. The tingling feeling and pain in the left leg may be due to a pinched nerve in the lower back - maybe x/rays of the lower back needed or an orthopedic surgeon opinion
3. Sleeplessness, dull sensation in forehead, weightloss, chest pains and palpitations could be signs of anxiety but you may also have some signs of fibromialgia causing the sore muscles
4. Migraines - you may need migraine medications rather than just pain medication.
I suggest you also get a second opinion - maybe see a physician if possible.

3
Posted by: Confused | 2011-01-11

Thank you for your reply, it helps to know that I am not loosing my mind here, and that there are others out there also having problems with no formal diagnoses. I agree a normal person should feel not constant pain, and its driving me crazy as no one seems to know what is wrong with me. Feels like I am loosing my mind, the only time I don''t feel pain is when I sleep between 1am and 6am, after taking a sleeping tablet :( :( :(. i am 35 for goodness sake, I should not feel like a 90 year old

Reply to Confused
Posted by: Purr | 2011-01-11

I know how you feel with constant pain and your GP telling you all is well. Thats why I do not even bother going to a GP anymore they do test after test and find nothing wrong. In my opinion a normal healty person wont be having any pain or symptoms of any kind so of course something must be wrong.
Last year I have been in ICU 6 times with the same problem, chest pain and my heart beating extremely fast, they stick me in ICU on a drip for two days then send me home up to this day I still have these chest pains, no doctor has ever even told me what the real problem is or tried tofix it, now I am saving my money dont see the need to pay for a doctor if the pain will just return.

Reply to Purr
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-01-11

Hallo Confused