Question
Posted by: Frika | 2008/11/11

RDW and White Cell Count

I received a lab report that say my RDW is 15.8 (Normal values 11.6 ~ 14.0) and my white cell count is 10.5 (normal values 4.00 ~ 10.00). There is also a footnote that say Teikenselle teenwoordig, Neutrofiele kom morfologies nornmaal voor.

What does this mean ?

Hallo Frika
RDW is Red Cell Distribution Width and is a measure of the variation of red blood cell width. This gives us an idea what the cause of an anemia is. With a RDW slightly above normal, and target cells, you probably have a slight iron deficiency anemia. The white cell count of 10.5 is still acceptable - if it goes much higher it can be an indication of underlying infection.