Question
Posted by: Mum | 2010-10-30

Raw veggies

Dear Doc, I am 34, and always been slender,only reason why, is because i dont really like eating,especially cooked..i also dont like cooking although i have to cook because i have husband and a 15yr old) The thing is, i''m crazy about raw veggies(brocoli,raw potatoes,tomatoes,onions,cabbage,carrots,peppers etc..i also drink lots or water and take VitaminC tablets,because i dont really like fruit,its too sweet,although i drink 1 cup of sweet coffee every 2nd morning. I also take 1 Biotin tablet and 1 vitaminE tablet daily,for the lack of meat. I know this sounds so crazy but,which other nutrition vitamins do i need? i only drink 2glasses milk,2cups rooibos and 1cup coffee. Am i normal?Oh and i eat my raw veggies with salt and vinegar/lemon juice.

Dear Mum
If you eat only raw vegetables, 2 glasses of milk and drink rooibos and 1 cup of coffee per day, then there is a possibility that you may develop deficiencies. Not a vit C deficiency because your raw veg will provide more than enough. So you can actually cut out the vit C tablets because excessive intake can cause kidney stones. The Biotin and the vit E tablets while necessary, will not make up for the essential nutrients a raw vegan diet lacks, namely proteins (although you are getting some high quality protein from the 2 glasses of milk/day), iron, zinc, additional calcium (another 600 mg/day), omega-3 fatty acids, all the B vitamins in addition to biotin and esp vit B12. Deficiencies of iron and vit B12 can cause anaemias. So I would recommend that you either also eat some eggs and extra yoghurt and cottage cheese and legumes to increase your protein intake, or take a protein supplement and a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte.
If you should develop any symptoms of deficiency such as tiredness, breathlessness, hair loss, skin changes, etc, please ask your dr to determine which nutrients you are deficient in so that you can supplement them.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-30

Dear Mum