Question
Posted by: Barbara | 2010/10/11

RAW SEWERAGE

I live in an area which has expanded quite a bit in recent years, the sewerage plant for that area was originally about 5km from the residential area, now with the expansion I am living approx 1.5km away and there is a serious problem with the system. It was last upgraded in the early 80''s and now is unable to cope with the amount of sewerage running into it with the result that the workers have taken to skimming the floating effluent off the water and leaving it to dry in huge heaps and then at least 3 times a week it is set fire to and burnt, the stench that emanates from this is absolutely horrendous, we constantly have stinging eyes and sinuses in the smoke and me being an asthma sufferer I have really bad attacks when the wind blows wrong. The stench is like living in a pig sty. To top this all we have a newborn baby as well.

What are the health risks living in this area and what can be done to make the local council speed up the process of upgrading the plant, there have been numerous promises made over the last few years but nothing is being done about it, surely they should be taking the effluent to a non residential area to burn it?

Hallo Barbara
If your municipality is not responding I would contact the department of health and ask them to send out a health inspector to the area.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/11

Hallo Barbara