Question
Posted by: Joy | 2012/01/19

Raw eggs

Hello, a friend of mine said it was a good idea to give a dog a raw egg once a week as it is good for them and make their coats shiny and healthy - I have a mini dashy and a x-foxy would this be a suitable and beneficial suppliment for them? thanks

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Joy, many people do this, but if your dog is on a good quality dog food he is getting all the nutrients, vitamins etc he needs. Personally, I would not do it as there is always the possibility of the dog getting salmonella. I would rather investigate as to whether or not your food is of a high standard. Additionally, a dogs coat that is dull could well be an indication of an underlying health problem, so if this is the case, and the food is good, rather have a check up at the vet. If you think there may be an underlying casue for a dull coat, keep an eye closely on your dog and see if you can pick up any other possible signs of ill health. The vet only has a short time period with your dog, whereas we, the owners, have much longer. Look if toilet habits have changed, if the dog eating the same, is he sleeping more than usual, have energy levels dropped, is he entering senior years etc. this information will give the vet so much more to go on if you do think there is a problem. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/01/19

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert