Question
Posted by: Marls | 2008/08/28

Raw dog food

I have just been reading a book by Kymythy R Schulze who advocates raw dog food only.
I personally do not subscribe to her recommendation of fasting the dogs once a week, but a lot of the other stuff seems to make sense. She recommends a mix of raw muscle meat +organ meat or egg +raw bone (chicken or turkey necks), + veggies, kelp/alfalfa, cod-liver oil, essential faty acids, vitamin c. What is your opinion, particularly for my older lab who is now 11 and has been on Eukanuba Renal Phase?

Marls

Nothing against the diets but you need a PHD to be able to formulate the correct diet if you want to make up a similar diet to the renal one. The good food companies do all the research and formulate the food accordingly. I just do not know where people get time to cook and source certain types of foods for their dogs.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

The best all-round diet for a dog is a good quality commercial dogfood.

Sometimes a dog is so allergic that you HAVE to prepare a home-made diet, but that is really very rare.

But - there are people who swear by the diet you describe, and are willing to go to the trouble of buying, storing and preparing it... the choice is yours  count me out!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2008/08/28

I have had my daxies ( 13 yrs old) on this diet for a while, and despite Congestive heart failure, the dog has normal liver and kidney functions :) i have battled for years with skin conditions which allopathic vets could not treat, homeopathy helped. but the biggest improvement has been the diet. i include raw tripe as well as tinned pilchards/sardines from time to time. they love chicken hearts as well as ox liver. my guys are also on flax seed oil for the omegas to encourage healthy cardiovascular fxn. i try to keep the rice to a minimum as well as potatoes but am happy to give them sweet potato as it has a low GI. i do also give them large bones to chew twice a week. and they are thriving :)

Reply to steph