Question
Posted by: Wills | 2008/10/24

RAW BONES FOR DOGS

I usually buy big raw bones for my dogs and give it to them as a treat. They especially love it when I give them a frozen bone in the heat of summer!

It is a Jack Russel and Fox Terrier. Is it in any way harmful to them? I deworm them at least twice a year, but I have had people nearly have heart attacks because I don' t cook the meat first?

Dear Wills

The are a few theoretical disease they can pick up from raw contaminated meat. Dogs in the wild do not cook their pray after killing it.

3
Posted by: Wills | 2008/10/28

Thanks guys! My doggies will be happily chomping away on their raw bones!

I am also going to print this email out and show it to all the cardiac wannabees!

Reply to Wills
Posted by: WR | 2008/10/25

I give all types of bones. Raw, as the cooked bones splinter. I believe that if you start very young dogs off with bones like cow-femurs, they learn not to try and swallow the whole thing in one go, but that' s just my opinion.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/24

When these people have their heart attacks, just call an ambulance and have them carted off, and get on with your life.

Raw bones are perfectly fine for dogs - it' s the TYPE of bone you need to be careful of - nothing that splinters into sharp bits (mutton bones tend to do this) and nothing they can choke on - some small marrowbones can lodge in a big dog' s throat - I do confess to giving them, but I make sure I' m around in case of difficulties. I' m also one of those who believes dogs shouldn' t have chicken bones (except the sternum and spine) but I know not everyone agrees with this.

Dogs don' t get worms from bones, by the way.

Reply to Chill