Posted by: Mariette | 2009-09-15

Raw bloody skin patch

Dear Cyber Vet,
I have noticed that my dog has this this raw bloody patch on his one cheek (about the size of a R5 coin) yesterday. Today it looks worse and more bloody, I' m not sure - he does not want me to have a closer look, I had to look with a torchlight tonight - he' s a very very gentle soft rottweiler but it must be very sore if he' s so ' defensive'  about it. At first sight it looks like the top skin layer is off and it' s bloody but not bleeding per se, but if you touch the area there is blood coming off. It does not look if any hair is missing and the whole area is wet around it on the hairs - was not so yesterday. It' s not possible for him to lick there. I can also say it almost looks like severe chafing, but how that could have happened I don' t know, he does not have any itchiness or allergies at the moment and is in top health otherwise. Also none of the other 3 Rotties have any strange conditions or skin problems, it' s only him. It does not seem to bother him very much though, it just looks very painful and raw and bloody to me. It does not quite smell the same as a hot spot but something like it, which probably means there is already some infection? What would you suggest I do?

Thanks so much.

Dear Mariette

It sounds like a wet eczema. These are caused by an initial itch that the dog scratches or rubs into a wet eczema. You can try and clean it with a weal solution of bioscrub twice daily and apply some F10 ointment on after. If it does not look a lot better in 4-6 days bets to have him checked out.