Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2012/02/24

Rate my diet

Dear Diet Doc,

I would like you to rate my diet please.

For breakfast for example, I always start off with a very high fibre cereal. This is almost always unrefined oats which have 13g of fibre per 100g. I have this with a mixture of water and milk and also add a few different types of fruit in the mixture. This is usually any 2 or 3 of: banana, dates, figs, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, tangarine, raisins etc and I also add a handful of sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds in the mix too.

Mid morning I then usually have a pear and apple etc to keep me going until lunch and snack on more seeds and/or dried fruit as I have a very big appetite. Lunch is usually a fish salad, or a bean soup or leftover dinner  stir fry vegetables (onions, peppers, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, green beans, garlic, mixed beans (aduki beans, pinto, black eyed peas etc), peas etc) with chicken or lean beef and pasta or rice with a low salt sauce or my own sauce made from chopped tomatoes and herbs or a low salt stock, or a jacket potato with beans or vegetables. Dinner is usually as above, or a curry with the above vegetables, potato, salad, cheese). I do also eat pitta bread a few times a week, but not actual bread.

I also drink about 4 cups of weak tea with milk and no sugar a day, and about 3/4 litres of fluid, usually water but also a glass of fruit juice a day. I then also have a yoghurt with acidophilus, and sometimes a couple of dark chocolate digestive biscuits after my dinner!

I also take capsule supplements of evening primrose oil, cod liver oil, a multi vitamin, digestive enzymes, glutamine before I eat and a probiotic. I also take husk in sachets as I suffer heavily with constipation and bloating.

I also walk an hour a day.

Please help,
Lauren.

Dear Lauren
I think the diet you describe sounds absolutely delicious and very healthy! The following points may need adjustment: 1) If you are so constipated and bloated that you have to take sachets of husks to keep you regular, you could change over from the high-fibre oats to high-fibre bran at breakfast. The reason for this is that the dietary fibre in oats is so-called 'soluble fibre' that helps to lower blood cholesterol levels, while the fibre in wheat bran is so-called 'insoluble fibre' which promotes regularity. The fruit, vegetables and dried fruit should also promote bowel movements. 2) If you are already eating such a balanced diet, it is not really necessary to take so many supplements -research has indicated that taking certain vitamins such as vit A in excessive doses can increase mortality. It is, therefore, prudent to reduce your supplement intake to 1-2 times a week. Esp the cod liver oil could be causing an overdose of vitamin A. Please go to your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to check if you are ingesting more than the RDA for vit A from the cod liver oil and the multivitamin you use.
3) I trust that the digestive enzymes have been prescribed by your medical doctor? if not, make sure that they are actually necessary.
Otherwise I think you are eating an excellent variety of healthy foods and getting plenty of exercise too.

2
Posted by: Lauren | 2012/02/29

Hi Diet Doc,

Thank you for your reply. I do also include all bran in my breakfast routine every now and again, I will often go from having oats for 2-3 weeks and then swap to bran for one week, or have bran twice a week and then oats for the remainder for this reason. I do however try to limit my intake of wheat due to its large gluten content. Is there any other suggestions you have for really high fibre breakfast cereals that are gluten free?

My multivitamins are vitamin A free so I should be ok on that one. Are there any other improvements to my diet you could suggest for my constipation, bloating, sluggishness, exhaustion etc?

Thank you,
Lauren.

Reply to Lauren

Dear Lauren