Question
Posted by: Lia | 2008/10/02

Rat Puppies

Hi, can anyone please give me some advice. I have 2 x orphaned rat puppies that I have been feeding puppy milk in a syringe as per my vets instructions.

They are now 2 weeks old and their eyes have openend. They are now supposed to be fed rice cereal mixed with puppy milk for a week but need to start eating on their own. They love sucking out of the syringe and only walk and play all over the food if I put it down for them. Are they too little to eat by themselves yet?

How can I teach them to do this. They go to the loo by themselves after much work was put in and one day just started going by themselves. Will they also just start eating on their own?

Please help!

Dear Lia

I would continue a bit longer with the milk and they will start to eat on their own soon, just have bits available. I would aslo follow jax's advice.

2
Posted by: Lia | 2008/10/03

Thanks Doc and Jax. They are really sweet and a treat to have in the house. When they wake up they look all over the place for a friendly face and litteraly squeel when they see a human. They love to be picked up and give love.

I' ll feed them a little longer on the milk and cereal mix and give it a try in another couple of days. But I will call Free Me and get some advice there too.

Have a super weekend.

L

Reply to Lia
Posted by: jax | 2008/10/02

Hi Lia,

- phone Free Me on 011 807-6993, and ask to speak to the manager on duty. She' ll be able to give you more detailed advice on when to start weaning etc.

Have fun - hand-raised rats are really sweet!

Regards,
jax

Reply to jax