Question
Posted by: Mel | 2008/10/15

rash update

i asked you yesterday about my son aged 24 with a rash - he went to a Dr who said could be german measles but wasnt sure so went to another GP who immediately said it was an allergy to aspirin - as I said he has had flu symptoms so I gave him a disprin and he had a med lemon.
last night the rash on his face started subsiding but he now has a rash on his chest. his eyes are very red and watery and he still has flu - do you think it is possible it is an allergy.

HI Mel
An allergy would normally be all over the body. The rash of german measles or measles are coarse - if you feel over the skin it feels rough. Also if you press on the skin you will see that the red dots disappear and reappear. Rubella rash usually starts at the head and moves down to the chest and neck - disappears after about 3-4 days. German measles causes enlarged glands in the hairline of the neck at the back. They can do a blood test to check for Rubella antibodies if unsure. It is normally not a dangerous disease but he should not come into contact with pregnant women as Rubella can cause severe birth abnormalities.
See http://www.kznhealth.gov.za/rubella.htm

2
Posted by: DR BEts | 2008/10/15

Hi Mel
Keep him in bed - give something for fever (Panado/mypaid/disprin). He can bath or shower but should dress in the bathroom as not to catch a cold. Adults can get pneumonia/encephalitis from viral infections so just watch him for coughing and shortness of breath, severe headache, nausea and neckstiffness. He can go back to class/work if the rash and fever is gone, he may be contagious up to 5-7 days after the first appearance of the rash.
I hope he feels better soon!

Reply to DR BEts
Posted by: Mel | 2008/10/15

sorry for all the posts Dr. i really think it is german measles - red, watery eyes, flu, very sore throat, rash gone from face as posted above, now spread to chest and hands

Reply to Mel