Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2009/06/22

Rash on 5year old

My son of 5 years have developed a rash on his back and stomach since this morning. He does not seem to be ill although he says that the rash is ichy.

Is it something that I should be concerned about and should he stay at home from school?

Dear Concerned mom
It may be safer to keep him at home - this could be viral, especially if it is a fine red rash that feels coarse to the touch. Watch him for fever and swollen glands. You could try to give him an antihistamine like 5 ml Phenergan syrup and see if it goes away - it will probably if it is an allergy. Otherwise rather let your GP have a look.