Posted by: Richard | 2009-07-06

Rash caused by food allergy?

I travel to Gauteng from the Cape regularly. When I do, over the past year or so, I break out in a rash on my legs from below my knees to above my ankles. It itches like crazy and takes about 10 days to subside once I am back in the Cape. The only thing I do differently while travelling is include seafood in my diet. Could the rash be caused by eating shellfish? I usually have meals with shellfish in once or twice per visit to Gauteng. If it is, why is the rash only on my lower legs? Could it be caused by something else?

Dear Richard
It sounds like you get a dermatitis, it could be triggered by swelling in the legs from sitting still for long periods. Try wearing flight socks when you travel and apply cortisone cream as soon as you see this developing (something like Stopitch)