Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2011/06/13

Rash around mouth

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant.

While doing my normal monthly breast exam I noticed that I had a small swelling in the breast tissue of one of my breasts and when I pushed on it clear fluid (colostrum) and blood came out of my nipple. I was diagnosed with mastitis and was given a course of Cephalexin.

Within a few days of taking it I have developed a rash of lots of tiny whitehead pimples around my mouth (mostly lower lip).

The same thing happened to me when I had to take the antibiotic Amoxycillin. I was wondering if this is not related? Is it just a side effect or is it an allergic reaction?

How can I treat it at home without resorting to antibiotic or antibacterial creams which could harm my baby?

It sounds like an allergic reaction. You should go back to your doctor to get a differnt antibiotic for the mastitis. Allergic rashes often settle in a couple of days without any treatment.

1