Posted by: Bonny | 2008-10-29

Rapid HIV tests

Hi .
My boyfriend I went to have HIV testing at a VCT centre. I have never had sex before and have not had any other exposure to possible causes. My partner had his first time six (6)months ago hence the reason we went for testing. Two test kits were used for both of us. We were told one was the first response and the other a confirmation test. We were told the first test was too slow and we never got the results. However the second test (which is faster) for both of us had a second line on 1 which was very fine (blurry). We were stunned at the news that we are positive and have heard of false positive test. I would like to know about the legality of this procedure if the fist response kit' s response was not waited for. Also, how many times is the Elisa assay performed in this country to confirm results. We are at the moment waiting for the lab results. I urgently hope to hear form you soon. Bonny

Hi Bonny
to be honest I don't think the person who did the tests really knew how to do this. It also sounds as if the kits could have been outdated. If you never had sexual exposure it is highly unlikely that you will be HIV positive. The blood tests do not take that long - rather just wait for them to come back. Remember that there can be false positive and false negative tests, but usually they confirm with 2 methods and will do a PCR if necessary. Use condoms in the mean time if you plan to have sex ( it is a good idea anyway to protect you against other STD's like Herpes genitalis, syphylis, genital warts)