Question
Posted by: KArin | 2010/06/22

Raped 24 years ago

Well here goes. It has just been discovered that a rape trauma I suffered 24years ago is the reason for my irrational behaviour sometimes. I at first did not wanna blame the rape after my ex husband pointed out that the rape still has an effect on me coz I never got any help or councilling after it happened. Ok, be that as it may, my ex wants me to get my life in order and he suggests I start by 24 years ago. You see, even though I never knew the guy, I know his name and surname and I will not forget his face, even if his 100 and all wrinkled. I will never forgot him. My ex wants me to now go and lay a charge of rape......After all this time??? Im not too sure, this man possiblly has a family by now, I feel I can''t break up their home as well. The ex reckons I must add that I don''t want him imprisoned just that he should foot any psychiatric bills. What do you think?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

From a psychological point of view I would not be able to assist you and I would suggest that you consult a psychologist in this regard. From a legal point of view, you will be able to lay a criminal charge. You have to be aware of the fact that in order to prove the alleged rape, the Court will have to be persuaded beyond reasonable doubt that the offender indeed committed rape. Without any evidence other that your oral evidence it may be very difficult to prove same. You will have to testify and be cross examined.

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/06/23

Reply to family law expert