Question
Posted by: Ruth | 2006/07/11

Q.

Ranflox anti-depressant drug

I would like to ask if this medication is stil allowed to be given to patients, and also how good is it in the long term treatement of depression, lone-term, would a scope of 8mnths to a year.

Thank you.

PS, I'm not sure i got the spelling correct (of the drug in question)
Ruth

Expert's Reply

A.

I have never heard of an antidepressant called Ranfloz, and it doesn't ring a bell at all. Could you check its proper name, both its trade name and if possible it's chemical name, and post a fresh query with that ? If this is a recognized antidepressant, it ought to be safe and effective, and one expects that such a drug would be used for at least 9 months to a year, for the proper treatment of Depression.

2
user comments

C.

Posted by: j-cat456 | 2006/07/11

Hi Ruth,
you will need to repost so that CS can see your answer, once he has replied he cannot see anything more. However,
fluoxetine is the active ingredient in Prozac, one of the most widely accepted and used a/d's. I'd guess Ranflocs is one of the generic names.
As far as prozac goes, in the years that it has been available, yes there have been deaths, few and far between. It is however empirically associated with an increase in suicidality amongst children under 18, as are a number of other a/d's.
In general, Prozac is a very good, effective and safe drug as a first line tretment for major depression. If you read the Product Information sheets for all the drugs you take, down to common or garden aspirin, almost all of them have included 'death, few and far between' - but there. Almost every drug available can be proven to have resulted in some deaths...if you research Fluoxetine (or Prozac) online, you will probably see how minimal this risk is. But in order to cover their butts the manufacturers include the possibility of rare deaths.
Hope this helps, but post again with the updated details so that CS can reply to you.
Regards,
J

Reply to j-cat456
Posted by: Ruth | 2006/07/11

Its correct name is actually Ranflocs capsules, other name is Fluoxetine, from Ranbax, and side effects include "isolated cases of reported deaths". That's why I'm worried that how can a doctor prescribe something with such side effects, and why is it still allowed in the market in the first place.

Ruth

Reply to Ruth

Want to comment?