Question
Posted by: Jolene | 2009/09/22

Raisins

I train quite a lot and have a busy life. I do not eat a sweets at all but love to eat raisins. I eat about 250g a day. Is this bad for my health / weight? I normally eat it in the evening after dinner.

HI Jolene

No, not necessarily. Raisins have pretty decent nutritional value, I wouldn't avoid them altogether. Anything in excess amounts is not great though. Just from the energy intake point of view, they're pretty concentrated, and you're eating a lot of them. Not sure what your goals are from training, but maybe you're overdoing the raisins. They don't have massive health implications, but anything you eat in large amounts will impact on weight.

I'd speak with a dietician and get some ideas of alternatives to eat, to cut down on the caloric intake.

2
Posted by: C | 2009/09/22

I asked DietDoc the same question a couple of weeks ago. Here' s her response:

Dear C
Raisins are an excellent food being rich in dietary fibre and iron. According to the SA Food Tables, raisins contain 1253 kJ/100g, so they are a moderate-energy food. If you eat approx. 30 g per day this would add 376 kJ per day to your diet, which represents 6% of your daily energy intake if you are slimming and 4,5% if you are not on a weight-reduction diet. They are indeed a much better option than sweets and cookies, but don' t eat vast quantities because then they will cause weight gain.
Enjoy

Reply to C
Posted by: C | 2009/09/22

Dear C
Enjoy

Reply to C