Question
Posted by: C | 2009/09/04

Raisins

Are raisins a good/bad snack food? I eat about a hand full each night, mainly because I really like it and instead of reaching for the cookie/sweet jar.

Dear C
Raisins are an excellent food being rich in dietary fibre and iron. According to the SA Food Tables, raisins contain 1253 kJ/100g, so they are a moderate-energy food. If you eat approx. 30 g per day this would add 376 kJ per day to your diet, which represents 6% of your daily energy intake if you are slimming and 4,5% if you are not on a weight-reduction diet. They are indeed a much better option than sweets and cookies, but don't eat vast quantities because then they will cause weight gain.
Enjoy