Posted by: ann van niekerk | 2009-06-18

raised gastrin levels

Dr, I have thyroid cancer, spread twice, on daily Diotroxin for almost 16years. Also have raised gastrin levels of more than 1000. Is raised gastrin levels an endocrine indication seeing that it maybe a gastrinoma? Is raised gastrin levels related to the thyroid situation?(papillary carcinoma of the thyroid)

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Ann

While I am not a gastroenterologist, on researching the subject of raised gastrin levels it appears that, in most instances, the primary problem leading to raised gastrin lies in the structures related to the gastro intestinal tract.

Gastritis, with the associated chronic use of H2 antagonists (ant acids) has been linked to raised gastrin. Gastrinoma, as you mention, is certainly another cause as is chronic ulcer disease. Chronic pancreatitis, too, has been linked to increased gastrin production.

I was not able to find a link between thyroid cancer and raised gastrin levels, howver.

Hope this helps.