Radioactive Iodine Treatment

I have to undergo radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism, my medical aid isn' t paying anything, does anybody know how much this treatment costs? Also, is it done in hospital or in the doctors room, and what are the risks? Thank you!

Dear Anonymous

Posted by: Dr Bets | 2009-05-08

Sorry, slip of the finger. Radioactive iodene is given in pill or fluid form. Some doctors admit the patient for a day or two to prevent contact with other people, you will have to ask your doctor whether this is his preference too. Ask him to give you a quote of what it will cost. It will depend on the hospital and the doctor' s fees.
dr Bets

Reply to Dr Bets

The radioiodine I-131 is swallowed in a single dose, in capsule or liquid form. always done on an outpatient basis.
Price? sorry not know.