Posted by: Vi | 2009-02-12

radiculopathy &  sclerosis

I have had a recent history of severe deblitating pain in my lower lumbar region. So severe that I was almost paralised for 3 weeks. I used anti-inflammatories as the doctor suggested it and also went for x-rays. Their diagnosis was definite sclerosis and a lumbar radiculopathy ( Sjoe - hop emy spelling is correct!!)

I am not very keen on using drug based treatment and opted to go to a chiropracter, who confirmed what the radiologists diagnosed and basically did some standard accupunture and mild manipulation. I did not experience any improvement and found that the condition flaired up again 6 weeks later. I am aware of the importance of posture and ergonomics in my workspace, but I could not engage in stretching excersise. I have a 16 month old baby which requires constint STRENUOUS attention!!! :-) I was reffered to a neurosurgeon who would possibly be doing an epidural steroid injection. I do not like the odds and was wandering if I have any alternative in Bloemfontein area???

Kind regards

Expert ImageArchive

Please contact Dr Adriaan Vermaas, Osteopath on 051 4483069. 105 Aliwal street, Bloemfontein.
For more information on osteopathy visit

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath