Question
Posted by: Rina | 2011-06-02

Radiation Treatment and fertility

My son was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a year ago, he underwent 35 radiation treatments and two major operations. He is now in remission. He''s married and they''re trying to fall pregnant but the gynea says his sperm count is very low and they will not be able to concieve naturally. His wife also doesn''t ovulate ( she is +_ 30kg overweight ), they where told that their chances of falling pregnant by fertility tratment is approx 40%,
Is it possible that the radiation caused my son''s problem with his sperm count being so low?
Would you recommend to your patients that they go ahead with the treatment even if their chances are only 40% ?

Dear Rina

There are many causes that may cause ones sperm count to be low and one of them would be exposure to radio therapy. However it appears that that is not the only problem and that his wife also do not ovulate which means there is two reasons as to why they are having difficulty in conceiving. I would recommend someone to go ahead with fertility treatment if they have a 40% chance of falling pregnant.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011-06-10

Dear Rina

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert