Question
Posted by: janeel | 2009/11/03

racist boss

I work for an "  international"  company and it seems like the new boss is practising apartheid labour laws?

She is SAfrican and since she is the boss all th non-white staff incl me have been complaining about our increases and bonuses being so poor and ofcouse it has been blamed on the recession.

Well after this month which happens to be increase time i was called in and told that we are experiencing financial problems and i will not be receiving an increase , they have amended our leave days. I asked my boss if this was for everyone in the company she promptly replied with surerity that it was.

I was fine with this not happy, Anyway a number of the non whites got the same explanation - the white counterparts never complained or anything.

Friday the IT Guy (white) nicely buys everyone biltong and a gift for the racist b&  ^%h - making it obvious that he was celebrating for something.

I am in finance and I have access to the Salaries system. After looking it up my worse fears were confirmed distinctly all the whites received increases with one black person (HR officer) receiving a measely 2% the IT guy received a 11% increase to his Salary and the leave days that was standard for everyone.

Now how is this justfied? surely this is illegal as i probed further to our bonuses and found the same thing , non whites no matter how snr received the least with whites receiving the most- they cannot justify any of this because the same workers that mess up in their jobs are getting increases and bonuses compared to us who working our butts off even taking extra chores without a choice?

i am determined to refer this to the SAHRI but jobs are scarce and i cannot leave at this stage becos i have a family dependent on me!

Well, the recession COULD be a reasonable excuse for poor increases, but I notice these always seem to be applied to ordinary workers rather than to the bosses themselves.
If as you say this boss gave increases only to the white employees ( with maybe one token black exception ) this does indeed sound racist and discriminatory.
Check with a lawyer or discus it with the SAHRI - I think the law on whistle-blowing is supposed to have changed so as to protect people who draw attention to such practices.

12
Posted by: Red | 2009/11/04

Everyone mistakes racism and look what you get at the end of the day. So pathetic if you ask me.

Reply to Red
Posted by: Woman | 2009/11/03

Errrm, people, you have obviously made a mistake in the forum you choose to bring up racism and fight about it. No comments made here has to do with the question.

If you want to discuss racism, go somewhere else, don' t dirty yet another forum with useless comments, you' re just spreading the hate. And THAT will help NOBODY. not on this forum and not in this country.

Enough already and behave!!

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/11/03

XIA

U are so trasnparent don' t insult indians ALL of your views are expressed by whites coincidentally which makes U obviosly WHITE!

UDS was right about this " Your suttle racism is transparent to us no matter how much u disguise or coward it" 

YOU proved it by denying who u really are even in a faceless forum...Pathetic!

Posted by: Annon | 2009/11/03

Xia,indian are actually black why do you sound as if you are " white" 

Reply to Annon
Posted by: Xia | 2009/11/03

UDS you obviously have a lot of anger. Life is not fair. It' s not fair that I have been mugged four times by black people, my husband has been hijacked at gunpoint by black people, my home was burgled by black people ( we saw them through our bedroom window as they jumped out the kitchen window), it' s not fair that my dad was robbed at knife point by black people, it' s not fair that my parent' s home was burgled by black people, it' s not fair that my uncle (who is black) was hijacked at gunpoint by black people, it' s not fair that my friend' s mother was murdered by black people, it' s not fair that my 12 year old cousin was beaten, stripped of his clothing by black people because all he had was his transport money for school, it' s not fair that my uncle was beaten, stripped of his clothes and left for dead in the bushes by black people, it' s not fair that my neighbour' s daughter was hijacked by black people, it' s not fair that my aunt was raped by a black man, it' s not fair that a friend' s child was raped by a black man...........

And for your information, I am married to a black man. My child is black.

Yes, we are all racists in some way and we will never be at peace with each other. No matter what race, we are both victims and perpetrators. But we somehow need to tolerate each other.

Reply to Xia
Posted by: Xia | 2009/11/03

Actually black bosses do it too. I know from experience. My black female boss did worse to me. I was the only Indian at the ngo. I worked the hardest, after hours, weekends, etc. My black colleagues went out on 2 hour lunch breaks, left early, sat on the phone the whole day and spent all their time on the internet. I was the finance assistant - the black finance officer always came to me to find out things that he as finance officer should have known.

My black boss gave me very urgent work to do at 4:15pm everyday. She knew full well that I had a baby that needed to be fetched by creche. Her response was that your child is not on some street corner by herself, but in the creche. Even when I was sick, she would tell me I can only take a day of sick leave. The black finance officer was always dealing with some crisis and was out of the office, so I did the work. Oh, and the black boss visited all the black colleagues homes for parties, braais, etc.

I have a white boss now and couldn' t be happier. We are given increments based on merit. And some of my black colleagues make a big fuss of the incrememnts they get, but it is fair. The people with lower increments are the ones who gather for long lunches, gossiping about the staff and talking at the top of their voices. You can never tell if they' re fighting or talking.

Reply to Xia
Posted by: Xia | 2009/11/03

Reply to Xia
Posted by: UDS | 2009/11/03

Anon

" I suppose its the same for black bosses and white staff." 

Just becos white people practice this doesn' t mean blacks do.

" It will always happen, maybe you should go and find a job with a black boss, as you are black it should be easy for you to find a job...so go then" 

Statistics prove otherwise the same AA that your white brothers and sisters complain about proves that ONLY the white women are gaining from it ...SO GO THEN

Your suttle racism is transparent to us no matter how much u disguise or coward it.

I am happy to belong to the non -white race not the coward race u obviously belong to surely you and your people can only claim racism as your greatest achievement in civilisation ...HITLER, VERVOED,BOTHA ETC .

Reply to UDS

Dont be naive Lydia, its reality.

Also if you read my post properly you will note that I do not condone such pracitices I was just stating a fact of what goes on in practice be you yellow, green or orange in color.

Posted by: lydia | 2009/11/03

Anon,
spoken like a true bonehead ...WELL DONE!

I am the boss of 5 people all different races and i do not remunerate based on colour the coloured girl like me gets whats fair to her not based on her race! if we are in the financial situation i will not give any of them rather then few even if its not based on colour

It makes me angry becos no way in hell will anybody be allowed to discriminate this way.Surely this HR person can raise an issue or is her' s based on shutting her mouth?

Reply to lydia

Well the boss is probably practicing ' looking after the white person"  - because no one else will.

I suppose its the same for black bosses and white staff.

It will always happen, maybe you should go and find a job with a black boss, as you are black it should be easy for you to find a job...so go then.

Its not racissm, its called looking after your own people. Its a worldwide phenomenon. Still doesnt make it right though I grant you that.