Question
Posted by: Leela | 2009/11/03

Racism

I work for an " international"  company and it seems like the new boss is practising apartheid labour laws?

She is SAfrican and since she is the boss all th non-white staff incl me have been complaining about our increases and bonuses being so poor and ofcouse it has been blamed on the recession.

Well after this month which happens to be increase time i was called in and told that we are experiencing financial problems and i will not be receiving an increase , they have amended our leave days. I asked my boss if this was for everyone in the company she promptly replied with surerity that it was.

I was fine with this not happy, Anyway a number of the non whites got the same explanation - the white counterparts never complained or anything.

Friday the IT Guy (white) nicely buys everyone biltong and a gift for the racist b& ^%h - making it obvious that he was celebrating for something.

I am in finance and I have access to the Salaries system. After looking it up my worse fears were confirmed distinctly all the whites received increases with one black person (HR officer) receiving a measely 2% the IT guy received a 11% increase to his Salary and the leave days that was standard for everyone.

Now how is this justfied? surely this is illegal as i probed further to our bonuses and found the same thing , non whites no matter how snr received the least with whites receiving the most- they cannot justify any of this because the same workers that mess up in their jobs are getting increases and bonuses compared to us who working our butts off even taking extra chores without a choice?

i am determined to refer this to the SAHRI but jobs are scarce and i cannot leave at this stage becos i have a family dependent on me!

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Racism

These cases are very difficult to prove. You can of course use the issue that you have raised of showing that it is racism. It is firstly suggested that you raise an internal grievance.

The issue with regard to the bonuses is a lot easier to prove. Obviously you are correct with regard to the scarce jobs and it is suggested that you only complain if you are joined by many others.

1
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2009/11/05

re: Racism

Reply to labour lawyer