Question
Posted by: Leela | 2009/11/03

Racism

I work for an " international"  company and it seems like the new boss is practising apartheid labour laws?

She is SAfrican and since she is the boss all th non-white staff incl me have been complaining about our increases and bonuses being so poor and ofcouse it has been blamed on the recession.

Well after this month which happens to be increase time i was called in and told that we are experiencing financial problems and i will not be receiving an increase , they have amended our leave days. I asked my boss if this was for everyone in the company she promptly replied with surerity that it was.

I was fine with this not happy, Anyway a number of the non whites got the same explanation - the white counterparts never complained or anything.

Friday the IT Guy (white) nicely buys everyone biltong and a gift for the racist b& ^%h - making it obvious that he was celebrating for something.

I am in finance and I have access to the Salaries system. After looking it up my worse fears were confirmed distinctly all the whites received increases with one black person (HR officer) receiving a measely 2% the IT guy received a 11% increase to his Salary and the leave days that was standard for everyone.

Now how is this justfied? surely this is illegal as i probed further to our bonuses and found the same thing , non whites no matter how snr received the least with whites receiving the most- they cannot justify any of this because the same workers that mess up in their jobs are getting increases and bonuses compared to us who working our butts off even taking extra chores without a choice?

i am determined to refer this to the SAHRI but jobs are scarce and i cannot leave at this stage becos i have a family dependent on me!

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Racism

These cases are very difficult to prove. You can of course use the issue that you have raised of showing that it is racism. It is firstly suggested that you raise an internal grievance.

The issue with regard to the bonuses is a lot easier to prove. Obviously you are correct with regard to the scarce jobs and it is suggested that you only complain if you are joined by many others.

7
Posted by: Leela | 2009/11/12

BOZO

"  You lazy incompetent black people with that attitude, is why this country will be just another 3 rd world country in Africa. " 

remind me again why u are still in this country U waiting for a nice kick from the blacks like your zimbabwean brothers and sister.... shame all those hardworking years of sweating it on those farms only to benefit who ?....carry on working you A$S off so we can reap the benefits ....PLEEEESE PLEEEEZE oh wait your wife is already sweating it out and so are u thats why u' re a bear with a sore arse. At least i feel better knowing this thank you AND by the way I received a R3000.00 increase with a nice promotion so the white IT guy is still below me ..... and since i brought this up i am expecting a cormfotable 13th cheque too....LOL

have a nice life

Reply to Leela
Posted by: BOZO | 2009/11/11

You see there your problem., why you didnt get an increase, its your attidue.That just because you have a black arse, in SA today, means everthing must just fall in your lap.

You lazy incompetent black people with that attitude, is why this country will be just another 3 rd world country in Africa.

I suggest you start working, like the whites have done for years.

Reply to BOZO
Posted by: leela | 2009/11/11

Bozo.

So u implying that if a white doesn' t get the job becos white people are the only ones having brains, we must be all AA.

its good that your wife is working her A$S off for the black baas becos whites have been doing it and still practising it for years.

Deal with the fact that u live and AFRICA as a minority or get out to europe where u' ll be just another ordinary white with nothing to complain about!

Reply to leela
Posted by: Bozo | 2009/11/05

Hi Leela , You most probably only got the job because you are black, it happens these days you know.So yes it was rasism in the first place when you got the job because of the color of your skin.

We see it all over South Africa, black people getting the job but white people actually doing that job for a lower salary.

My wife does her black boss' s job everyday for half the salary.
Her boss is more interested in laying on the phone , and doing 2 hour lunches etc than doing her own job.

Reply to Bozo
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2009/11/05

re: Racism

Reply to labour lawyer
Posted by: Leela | 2009/11/04

Anon,

I am the Financial Accountant and backup payroll administrator SO how again do i get dismissed for this? I would say in any company i would be safe in the situation i am in.

Reply to Leela

This is not fair, and surely you have a right to be upset.

But tell me, how are you going to explain how exactly you " know"  all the facts? You do know that you can be fired because you looked into other people' s salaries without the proper authority? And surely you know that most systems have extensive audit trails, which means that they can probably pick up that what information you queried, and I would think (not a lawyer) that it would be grounds for dismissal.

I would keep quiet and hope they dont bother checking up on the history, you would never get away with it in my organisation. Then you are without your job, and your bonus.

That is my opinion.