Posted by: cilla | 2009-08-04

my boss is a racist and transparent about it.

Our ( myself and a colleague)increases and bonuses are based on or skin colour and not the hard work we are contributing. She keeps loading us with work not in our job description and she doesn' t give us a choice as to whether we mind doing it or not.

I have been with the co for 7 years and last year an assistant to the it guy started despite not having any qualifications he was offered a higher salary equivalent to what i have despite me having different training and diplomas. if that was not bad enough he is completely incompetent just doesn' t bother doing anything and does not work the hr' s we all are suppose but because he happens to be the right colour he gets away with it.

recently he had forgotten to do an important function of his position and i was asked to do the job despite it not being near my job role i am in finance?

my boss insisted i search his office doc' s when i discovered his salary slip and bonus letter lying in his in tray.

i checked and my suspicions were confirmed not only is he earning way too much for doing nothing but he receied an 8% bonus while we were told that we were getting 5% because it was the standard despite my boss telling us that she is happy with our work at the performance review?

I thought we were better off because of the extra work that we are getting loaded with but its not the case. i want to desperately get out of here but jobs are scarce. surely there are laws against this treatment?

Not only do i have to contend with this crap but the boss also of loads on me with her personal crap and the fact that she is on anti depressants due to her personal problems. i feel like i should confront about lying and the useless idiot' s salary and bonus cos she was the one that insisted i search his office for papers?
overall the company' s culture is a racist one but i' m not fighting others battles.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: RACISM - my boss is a racist & transparent about it

This behaviour is completely unacceptable. You need to raise an internal grievance. You can also go to the equality court which is a part of any magistrates court. They will assist you in filling out the papers. You can also refer the matter to the Commission for Conciliation Mediation and Arbitration. This must be done as soon as possible in terms of an LRA Form 7.11.

The bonus and increases are not a right and it is still the perogative of the management to decide to to give what.

Posted by: Boetie | 2009-08-21

The workplace is the last place that you can expect to be treated fairly + same as everybody else. I learned this the hard way. I' d been with the co. 20 yrs when a guy less than half my age + with 1/4 of my experience was started on a salary 25% more than I was earning. I saw his letter of appointment. When I took early pension the m.d. told me I may not work again as I had taken my pension package in a certain way. Absolute nonsence as I found out. The day I left he did not even say anything. Not a thank you, not a bugger you, nothing even after more than 22 yrs. Fairness just does not exist in the workplace + the sooner you understand this the better. Regards

Reply to Boetie