Question
Posted by: anon 11 | 2009/11/10

racing thoughts

hi doctor, please help me , i have diagnosed of deprssion last year never took meds could not afford , got the prescription last week to try and buy them, cipralex and lamictin, i have anxiety all the time thinking about things i should nt be, all the time, will these tablets relax my brains, since i have dreams everyday and wake up tired as well. please tell me it is worth buying them??

Where there is an issue that you may not be able to afford the medication recommended, any competent doc should (a) have asked about this , and (b) should have suggested generic medications ( equivalent to the name-brand products but significantly cheaper ). If one has a simple Depression, for instance, there is absolutely no good reason to START with highly expensive products like Cipralex and Lamictin, when equally likkely to help would have been generic alternatives and much cheaper.
I think you should see a different doctor, preferably a psychiatrist, and explain this situation and the money problem ( something shared by very many of us these days ) - and ask for a prescription for generics. There are generic products similar to Cipralex at a much lower price, and Lamictin while excelltn in Bipolar Disorder, is hardly indicated in a first episode of depression.
With the diagnosis checked ( is this basically a Major Depression, or a mixed Anxiety and Depression, or a Bipolar Disorder ? ) so as to be able to select the treatment needed, and cost taken into account, you should be able to start on meds with a good chance of hlping you greatly. Remember they take a few weeks to reach their maximal benefits, so take the newly recommended alternative meds, and watch as the benefits develop

1