Question
Posted by: David Jacobs | 2012/10/07

Racing heart rate, when drinking alcohol

I am a 33 year old male, a little over weight, and not to active. I run maybe 4-7km a week, and play some golf on the weekends.

I have always been drinking, and recently, I am drinkingless than I used to when I was a bit younger. But this last year or so, I can''t sleep at all if I had something to drink. Especially red wine or brandy, but all alcohol. My resting heart rate goes up to about 120-140bmp. It is like my body have a reaction to he alcohol, and become hyperactive. Then I can''t sleep at all, for the whole night!

Is this common? Or have I become allergic to alcohol?

By writing this comment, I get the feeling I should quit drinking all together?

Thank you,

David

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear David

An increased heart rate after drinking alcohol is a normal physiological response in many people. It is not an allergy but is simply a reaction to the pharmacological properties of alcohol.
As far as stopping drinking is concerned, you have answered your own question! Your heart will only race when you have drunk too much so it certainly sounds like you should restrict your alcohol intake.

Best wishes, JT.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/10/10

Dear David

Best wishes, JT.

Reply to Cardiologist