Posted by: anon | 2009-05-15

racially insennsitive statements at work

My boss and other senior managers made unsavoury racial statements...they were talking very loud in one of the manager' s office and they clearly forgot the door was open...this ofcourse got me upset...and very dissapointed...
...they got shocked when I came out and quickly closed the continue their racist gossip...
some bg: their comments were about black people not belonging in the Western Cape - but belonging in the " homelands" ....
things were awkard afterwards...because either they know that I heard them and are obviously very embarrassed
I spoke to my husband about this and he advised I should confront my boss with this - I didn' t because i was still too angry to even go to work the next day...I haven' t talked to him about it till today becoz I' m just going to look stupid...and also wanting to avoid an office such haven' t shared it with any other person in the office becoz i believe in nonracialism... and don' t want to incite i' ve decided to let it slide but I' m just happy to know the kind of people they are and have chosen to keep my distance and keep it professional.

so, how should I handle such a situation in the future?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

In the future I would show them how to be mature,sensitive and assertive. Sit them down and explain to them that it is unacceptable,hurtful and should cease. Ask them whether there should be in house sessions on discrimination, sharing cultures etc. Finally remind them that it is also illegal.