Posted by: Fons | 2011-07-10

I saw a racoon lick our porch, possibly eating someone that it found there, then I opened the window to scare it and my dog ran after the racoon, so I got worried they might fight and I ran after the dog. When I got back into the house, I noticed both a foot and one of my hands were itchy. I didn''t touch the racoon but I was barefoot and walked on the porch where the racoon had been. It could easily have been a mosquito that stung me, but I googled rabies just to see if itching was a symptom and ended up seeing how fatal rabies is. But since the incubation period may be of several days up to years, would I feel itchy right after?

I read a person should get a shot immediately if they suspect they have been infected. Should I see a doctor or is it ridiculous to think I may have been infected only because I was barefoot and got an itch?

You can only be infected if the saliva was infected to an open wound, i.e bitten by the racoon. You can however, consult your doctor for an examination and if he really feels that it is necessary, both you and your dog, should be innoculated.

I do not however, think that you should be concerned.

Posted by: Cordel | 2011-07-11

With regards to the shots, there is nothing wrong with having the initial shot immediately and then the maintenance shots daily. My daughter had this as prevention.

Reply to Cordel
Posted by: Fons | 2011-07-11

Now, about 24 hours later, my foot and hand are very red and swollen and itch like crazy.

I just applied betamethasone valerate to my foot. I''m not sure if it''s okay, but it was the only thing I had.

Reply to Fons