Question
Posted by: Katie | 2009/06/19

rabbit food

HI ,
JUST WANT TO ASK WHICH OF THESE HAYS ARE APPROPRIATE OR NOT FOR DWARF RABBITS: ERAGROSTIS TEFF, ERAGROSTIS CURVULA, AND LUCERNE.
I HAVE A HALF ALBINO DWARF RABBIT. IT IS ABOUT 3 WEEKS OLD NOW AND THE ALBINO EYE IS SOMETIMES SWOLLEN, WITH A LITTLE BIT OF EXUDATE WHICH FORMS A CRUST AROUND THE EYE WHEN IT DRIES. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN USE FOR IT?
MANY THANKS.

Dear Katie

Most hays are fine with a dry pellets as well. Anything can cuase a runny eye but worth having the eye examined for Pasturella infection.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009/06/19

I dunno about the food - do a bit of googling. I suspect your best bet is commercial rabbit pellets, but I' m not sure from what age bunnies should be eating adult food.

The eye: you could clean it with a cotton wool pad dipped in a boracic acid solution - you get the boracic powder, dissolve it in some boiled, cooled water - be careful to get the proportions right - I think it' s about one teaspoon to a cup or so of water - and use a clean swab every single time, so as not to cross-infect. You also need to make a fresh solution every day or two, for the same reason. Google this too - there' s loads of information out there.

Reply to Chill