Question
Posted by: Sindie | 2009-02-03

RA mouth ulcers

I am a 29 year old diagnosed with RA.
I' ve been having trouble with mouth ulcers for the past 4-5 months.
I have been on methotrexate, salazopyrin, coxflam and plasmaquine for 3 years now with great success. Except for the mouth ulcers. I am taking folic acid daily and have increased daily dossages to combat the ulcers but it doesnt seem to be working. I have trouble eating due to this and it is very painful even when drinking. It is small, round, white ulcers. I am sure that it is because of the medication, but i would really like to know if there' s anything I can take to prevent this (instead of anti-bacterial solutions to rinse with that just numb the mouth)?

Dear Sindie
It could be due to the salazopyrin - try Kenalog in orobase jel on the ulcers. Try using vit C and zinc supplements and try to avoid toothpaste containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate if possible