Question
Posted by: Ansie | 2010-07-26

R-SOUND

What can I do to help my son (7) to say the r-sound. He is now in his 3rd year of speech therapy and still no ''r''. I know they are concentrating on other problems regarding his speech more at this stage since they believe the ''r'' will come. Personally I feel all the other things will fall into place as soon as the ''r'' comes... I took him to a specialist who confirmed that there is nothing physically wrong with his tongue or palate.

Expert ImageComplementary Therapies Forum

Hello Ansie,
May I suggest you find a cranial osteopath and see if they can help.
Anatomy explained:
Out of the base of the head, near the first cervical vertebrae (C1) and between the occiput (back of the head) and temporal bone (bone around the ear), exit four cranial nerves. Two of the nerves, the hypoglossal and the glossalpharyngeal, innvervate the tongue. When this opening gets compressed, and the nerves impinged, they don't function well.

The first symptom you see is poor latching or sucking that is usually overcome enough that the baby eats okay, but later you see the inability to form words properly because the tongue is not working properly. Also, normal brain function, includingthe speech center in the brain requires free motion of all 24 cranial bones.

1
Posted by: complementary therapies forum | 2010-07-28

Hello Ansie,
Anatomy explained:

Reply to complementary therapies forum