Question
Posted by: Bernadette | 2010/12/07

&quot salad brain" 

HI Doctor,
Could you please advise me as to whom I should consult for sudden days of what I have called " salad brain" .
I am 55 year old female and have had nephritis for 10years,in remission at the moment but when I was very ill I had some really drastic drug treatments under the care of a renal specialist,I currently take tablets for high bp and.cholesterol and various supplements like magnesium,potassium and folic acid daily.
I recently went thru an extrememly traumatic time when we had to sell our home and we were involved with a court case which caused me to end up in hospital with very bad blood pressure which took a week for them to bring under control,we have since moved house and are ok financially although it is still an ongoing worry but not to the extent that we had before selling our home.
A week ago I woke up one morning and noticed that I was saying the wrong word when I spoke to my husband and since then I have had memory lapses and still say incorrect words which my family are finding a bit funny but I am getting concerned that I might have something seriously wrong or is it perhaps " post traumatic stress"  I have not had any headaches or anything like that.
Should I go and see my gp,I do not have any medical aid so I am a bit reluctant to just go and see the gp when it is perhaps nothing? my gynae prescribed Venlor as she thought that it might be hormonal but I cannot take it as it gives me severe indigestion, thank you for your time

Hallo Bernadette
With your history of high blood pressure and the episode where you have been admitted, you may have had a small stroke in your speech area (typically you know what you want to say but the word comes out wrong, or you know what you want to say but can't say the word) I think you should see a neurologist just to check this as you may need a brain scan. If you don't have a medical aid, your GP could maybe refer you to an academic hospital neurology clinic for these tests.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/07

Hallo Bernadette
dr Bets