Question
Posted by: John | 2010/06/03

&quot Reamed out"  at work

Hi Doc, I just got a royal reaming out at work and Im feeling very bad about it. Im an accountant and public speaking is a very weak point of mine, I had to do some presentations and I just gave the nuts and bolts of it, I never gave it the bells and whistles as was expected of me by those receiving the presentation. The feedback to my boss was negative. I hate feeling like this because I look for acceptance of my ''offerings'' by everyone and when someone tells me that it was not acceptable I take it too personally and feel quite agrieved especially when I feel it was unjust. Now these quite important people at work think im an idiot.

Am I over reacting?

Thanks Doc

I know how it feels, John ! Your job is as an accountant, and I guess public speaking was not part of the job description or requirements. If your boss and the company now expect you to include this among your work, I think they have a duty to provide you with proper training to enable you to feel comfortable in this new area of work, and to gain the relevant skills to do it well. Simpl dumping such new duties on someone without extra training is inherently unfair.
Is there an HR person or dept you could discuss this with ?
The Dale Carnegie courses Maria mentions can be very helpful, and have been running for decades with success.
I have no doubt at all that you will be able to do this sort of thing really well, but to need training and support is natural - if they suddenly decided you need to ride a unicycle or juggle as a new part of your job description, they'ed probably recognize that some further trainign would be wise.

3
Posted by: Purple | 2010/06/03

With work that we present - some people spend hours putting the bells and whistles on and are short on facts and some spend hours getting hte facts in and nothing on the bells and whistles. The one with the bells and whistles looks like work has gone into it, so unfortunately, you do have to do that to have your good informaiton seen as credible.

I agree, the Dale Carnegie courses (and there are other good ones too) are very good at helping you find out that you do have what it takes to prseent in front of others.

With time and practice and some help you''ll be able to do it.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Maria | 2010/06/03

What you need to do is ask your superiors to send you on a training course for public speaking. Or do it yourself, it''s an investment in your future. There is a Dale Carnegie course that I can really recommend.

Reply to Maria