Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2010-03-09

&quot Promotion" 

Hi there,I will try to keep this as short as possible.I have been working for this company for nearly 5 years. A post in my department became available in November last year, it is a position " higher"  than mine. When I applied for it I was told not to expect anything because they have to hire a black person. I applied anyway &  heard nothing until the Christmas break when I recieved an sms from a lady who works in another department telling me that she was offered the post - she is not black. I was very annoyed (putting it politely) and made my feelings really clear when I got back to work in January. I was subsequently offered a " promotion"  which basically boils down to the work I am currently doing but just alot more detailed so there is more responsibility. When my departmental manager and my immediate superior in the department were talking to me about it in January,they told me that I would be on a probation period for the job &  that I would be informed at the end of February if I got it or not and that they would push that I get a substantial increase in salary for the new position. I have been asking my immediate superior here and all I get is " Yes you have it - but I dont know what your salary will be" , he wont give me anything in writing. So, I dont know if I am being " promoted:, what my salary will be as they have already done our performance appraisals (mine was done on my old job description) and we will be advised as to what our increases will be sometime this month.I am doing the work for this new post but am seriously considering not doing it anymore - I feel that I am being treated unfairly - how can they tell me I have the job but nothing has been made official and I still dont know what my salary will be!! Do I have any recourse in this matter? Thank you for your time and patience, I appreciate any advise you can give me. Debbie

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re : Promotion

Unfortunately you have no right to extra money on a probation, unless of course it fits into a higher band, and the company falls within the band limits.

2
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2010-03-11

Re : Promotion

Reply to labour lawyer
Posted by: postman pat | 2010-03-09

did you put anything in writing to them or your HR department, if yes i''m sure there must be some policy in place where they need to reply within a period of lets say 7days.

If nothing is on record and you had any witness with you that can testify that you did indeed got the higher rank or promotion then i will take them to ccma.

Reply to postman pat