Question
Posted by: Jo | 2010/11/24

&quot onion -ish"  smell on hands

This may sound very weird, but i was hoping that you might have an explanation for this. My hands smell of onion ALL the time, eventhough haven''t touched onions in a week. It comes and goes quite often, could this be some form of chemical inbalance or my skin reacting to a lotion/cream etc.

I''ve realised that if I use a particular face cream, my hands smell like onions afterwards.

Hope you can shed some light on the matter

Thank you so much

Dear Jo
It could be caused by bacteria on the skin. We all have bacteria living on the skin but in some cases the level of bacteria increase to abnormal high levels. Because they produce sulphur this can cause a onion type smell. Try using an antiseptic soap like Hibiscrub to wash your hands with, be careful that it does not come into your eyes. If your hands are very sweaty you can try something like Driclor on your hands.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: Jo | 2010/11/24

I forgot to mention that it is even stronger after I washed my hands. I tried to do a little research on the net, one posting (not by a medical doctor) mentioned that it could be related to a kidney disease. I have a nefrotic syndromme caused by minimal change disease.

Reply to Jo
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/24

Dear Jo
dr Bets