Question
Posted by: Peppie | 2009-04-05

&quot diet fatigue" 

Hi again Doc

I' ve been on a dietician' s eating plan and biokineticist' s exercise programme for over a year now. Last year it went great and I had good results, but this year I' ve been lazy and demotivated. I haven' t gained weight and still eat healthy foods, but I stopped measuring the food portions and I' m not exercising hard enough so I' m not losing weight either. I still have a long way to go to reach goal weight. Do you have any advice on how to get going again? I got a bit obsessed last year with weighing every day and writing down everything I ate, and I just got tired of concentrating on my diet all the time. There must be a " goue middeweg"  between obsession and letting go altogether but how do I get there?

Dear Peppie
It is normal that you would suffer from 'diet overload' if you weighed everything you ate and kept notes. What you need to do now is to ask yourself if you can remember the size of your recommended portions? if so, then just stick to the dietitian's prescription and do your exercise a bit more. Increase your exercise gradually until you are back to your good level like last year. If you can't remember the size of your portions then weigh those you have forgotten once or twice to get back into the swing of things and then stop weighing them and just regard the whole process as "living a healthy life' and you will manage to get back to your good habits. I am so glad that you did not gain any weight.
Hang in there and take the first step right now.