Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2010/02/03

&quot CITICS" 

Dear Dietdoc,
I refer to the previous post " CITICS"  (I presume she meant critics). I have always wondered at the necessity of these slimming pills, both the scary, dangerous kind and the supposed harmless ones. In your professional opinion, are slimming pills ever medically necessary? I' ve always been of the opinion that eating less (in a balanced, sensible way) and exercising more is really all it takes to lose weight. Are slimming pills ever necessary or are they just an easy way out? Perhaps I am a little biased :)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks for an interesting site.
Sarah

Dear Sarah
As a registered dietitian, I am not in favour of slimming pills because the majority of these products have such serious negative side-effects. Prior to the revelations about the potentially damaging effects of sibutramine (usually used in pharmacological slimming medications)in individuals with heart and circulatory problems, it seemed feasible to use products such as Reductil and Ciplatrim to help those persons who require an appetite suppressant to control their food intake so as to lose weight. Now however, sibutramine has also been identified as potentially harmful esp in patients with heart, blood pressure and circulatory problems. The over-the-counter slimming pills (and there are hundreds, if not thousands of totally unregulated products available) generally contain a mixture of herbs that can also have negative effects, particularly ephedrine or synephrine which can cause all the side-effects associated with epinephrine (see my reply to Kayla who posted the "Citics" message). So although some people may benefit from taking an appetite suppressant, most of these products are dangerous or they actually have no effect (in such cases it is the stringent slimming diet that accompanies the pills that causes the weightloss!). You are correct that the majority of individuals can lose weight by eating a balanced, energy-reduced, low-fat, low-GI diet and exercising. The Biggest Loser SA TV series in 2008 was a shining example of these principles with some contestants losing in excess of 50 kg in a relatively short period.

1

Dear Sarah