Question
Posted by: Mel | 2010/05/17

&quot Bad dog" 

Good day Cyber vet,
I have a behavioural problem with my little dog. I know it sound terrible but I don’ t know how to get him to stop. The problem is he is very territorial no other dog is allowed to come in to our home, or sit on our laps or anything like that, he gets terribly aggressive, he leaps at them in full attack mode. How can I get him to stop this behaviour?

Mel

Hi Mel

Firstly, I would strongly advise that if your dog is a non castrated male that you get him castrated.

Secondly, I would advise that you seek the help of a QUALIFIED animal behaviourist. You will need to go for a consult where they will be able to ascertain you interaction with your dog and the dog's interaction with other dogs and advise you accordingly.

If you need to know of some animal behaviourists in Cape Town just request and I will forward that info.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/05/17

I don''t know exactly how bad this aggression is - but unless it''s really over the top, I think it''s perfectly normal behaviour. He is defending what is after all his own territory. Neither of my dogs - male and female, both neutered/spayed - would be exactly overjoyed if some strange dog popped in and presumed to sit on my lap!

Obviously, if your dog is a) very dominant, b)un-neutered, and c) exceptionally territorial, then his behaviour may not be acceptable, in which case the behaviourist consultation is the way to go. But otherwise, accept that you can''t put his nose out of joint, on his own turf, nogal, without him objecting.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/05/17

Hi Mel

Reply to CyberVet