Question
Posted by: quotation | 2011/02/07

quotation

In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra.

Fran Lebowitz
US writer and humorist (1950 - )

Actually, this is not a humorous comment. Each time there's all that fuss about Matric results, I think about how much of ANYTHING I was taught has been of the slightest use to me in my long life. English and history and a bit of geography have been of some help. Apart from simple arithmetic, NOTHING whatsoever about algebra, Trigonometry, and so on has ever been of the faintest use - even though I became involved for years in serious research. Its a waste of time teaching these hoary and useless topics to kids when there is so much more, of greater use and importance, which could be taught. Goodf grief, they made me suffer through Latin, insiksting it would be essential to me when I studied medicine. I'm still waiting for it to be useful.

2
Posted by: Honest Opinion | 2011/02/07

Today must be my day to diagree with Cybershrink.
Imagine if we only learnt things relevant to our lives in school, we would barely study anything. Algerbra Geography chemistry?????
Education is excercise for the brain and helps us with problem solving and linking different concepts together. True l have rarely used my latin or physics in life but do not regret stretching my mind
If we only learned practical ,applicable subjects SA would only teach sex education, corruption deals,addiction and debt counceling in schools.

Reply to Honest Opinion